Wednesday 28 September 2011

Recommendations: 2 (Maida Vale Edition!)

Pretending people care... in September. There's kind of a Maida Vale trip theme to this one - a place I ate that day, the book I read waiting in the street, and the CD that reasoned it all.

Place: Hummingbird Bakery, Notting Hill



My mum bought us the Hummingbird Bakery recipie book about two years ago I think - from it we've made brownies, cupcakes, pies, and always meant to go. When my dad and I were in Notting Hill the other week, we saw a girl who worked there in a Hummingbird Bakery sweater and chased after her when I realised how close we were. I had Hummingbird brownie, which was rather wonderful, but surprisingly my dad's Black Bottom cupcake - chocolate, with cheese and buttery icing on top - was probably more delicious. A small place, a lovely atmousphere, they give you your food in cute boxes with handles. If you're ever nearby, go. Or if you're not nearby, plan a pilgramage before you die.

Book: "The Radleys" - Matt Haig
In a world of "Twilight" and "Marked" and things like that, it's definitely reassuring that a novel like this exists. Whilst it definitely isn't a spoof, "The Radleys" is a book that's hilarious as well as being able to be taken seriously. Making you think to be concerned about the neighborus, this is the story of Helen and Peter Radley's realisation that it's time to tell their teenage offspring the reason they feel ill without eating meat, why they have trouble sleeping, why they can't go outside without coating themselves in Factor 30.

Album: "A Creature I Don't Know" - Laura Marling
Because, how could I not?
I'll review this in more detail, one day. But every so often you buy a record and fall in love with it. And by that I don't mean like it a lot. I mean every song is fantastic, you get to know the order better than your friends' birthdays and most of the time it stays with you for ever. This has been one of those.
From "The Muse", which introduces the new liveliness and odd enigma of this album, to the concluding thought of "Flicker and Fail" it's a wonderful arrangement of guitar and mandolin and strings, melodic surprises and lyrics that tell tales way beyond the expected maturity of a twenty-one year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment