Friday 16 December 2011

Christmas Playlist

Some Christmas songs you maybe haven't heard before...

"I KNOW WHO TOOK THE MILK AND THE COOKIES" - KINA GRANNIS
A song about coming home.




COVER OF "FAIRYTALE OF NEW YORK" - BILLY BRAGG AND FLORENCE WELCH
"Fairytale of New York" is one of my favourite Christmas songs, and nothing beats the original but these two have really great voices and the mandolin part is lovely. Plus Florence and harps go together like... um. Suncream and skin.



"JUST FOR NOW" - IMOGEN HEAP
Beautiful layered harmonies, words about family feuds and false smiles and kicks under the Christmas dinner table.




"THERE'S ALWAYS CHRISTMAS" - ARDIE COLLINS
With a guitar rhythm that's kind of woefully cheerful, a song about a faltering relationship at Christmas time.




"TIMSHEL"
- MUMFORD AND SONS
This is not exactly a Christmas song, but it reminds me of Christmas time and mountains, water, snow. I was torn between posting this or "Winter Winds", both sound like Christmas does. But this is so melancholy, both comforting and very cold.




"GOODBYE ENGLAND" - LAURA MARLING
Again, more a wintery song than a Christmas song but it feels like Christmas to me. I wanted to find a video of her playing this in a cathedral like when I saw her (I'm currently trying to get up to date on blogs about concerts from October) but couldn't. Hearing it with just her and a guitar, in a big dark, cathedral, was really magic. But this version is lovely too.

No comments:

Post a Comment