Monday 24 September 2012

"Babel" Day Craziness

So today, Mumford and Sons second album, "Babel", is released out into the world.

I am just one devoted fan that's been waiting two years for this, and although there's been a lot of early versions of new songs going round on YouTube and Tumblr etc for the last two years I held back. I wanted to do the traditional thing; go out and buy a physical copy and listen to the whole record from start to finish, having heard none of it before.

I semi-cracked tonight: I listened to Ben, Ted, Winston and Marcus' Q&A with Geoff Lloyd on Absolute Radio, during which they played some of the new record ("Below My Feet", "Lover of the Light", "Hopeless Wanderer", "Whispers in the Dark" and new single "I Will Wait".)

I lay in bed in layers of jumpers, with wet hair, lit candles all over the room and just sat in peace with my eyes closed and listened.

And I was worried a little about "second album syndrome".

But it is so beautiful.

I'll write a review, maybe in a week or two, but for now that's all I can summon. Just... complete state of wonder. Sorry for being so inarticulate.

At the end of the radio show, "Lover of the Light" came on and my room smelt like pine. And singing along I felt a lump in my throat. And I realised I felt something I hadn't in years: I felt like it was Christmas. Like a kid on Christmas Eve. I don't even know, either.

I'm going to hold back from downloading it now, and going to the nearest record store forty minutes away straight after college tomorrow. But you can go on iTunes from right now onwards and get your copy, or buy one in most shops.

I'll talk about "Babel" properly after I've bought it tomorrow but I just wanted to document how happy I am right now.

Happy Babel Day, internet. xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment