Saturday 13 April 2013

Recommendations: March 2013

























At the start of last month, I was in London for an event called Moxafrica, hosted by the Telegraph's Neil McCormick, to raise funds for tuberculosis solutions in third world countries. It brought together some incredible artists, some up and coming like Bo Bruce and Buckshot Soup, and others that have already expienced large scale success: David Gray, Gabriella Cilmi,  those you hear of and remember songs you loved. As well as it being a great cause, I got to hang out with friends I've met through Twitter and through this blog, which is strange and magical and makes me incredibly happy, because people are lying when they tell you the internet is a waste of time.

I spent St Patrick's Day losing all my dignity, an incredibly "mainstream" evening as my friend put it - appropriately enough, I went to hear Irish rock-pop balladeers The Script grace the MEN, a night of catchy love songs and happiness.

Other things I bought, heard, loved:

"Moranthology" - Caitlin Moran
This book is collection of  Times columnist Caitlin Moran's best work - she is "the first journalist to prove Lady Gaga isn't a man". Musings on music, travel, hair, and an incredible meeting with Paul McCartney, Caitlin is sassy, smart, hilarious and inspires me no end.

"The Next Day" - David Bowie
It's safe to say I'm going through a bit of a Bowie phrase. I lost my Labyrinth-watching virginity today, better late than ever, it is bizarre and insane and perfect. His new album "The Next Day" is a perfect continuation of his career. I love the sound of his voice now, the audible sense of his having aged, grizzly and soft, yet this album makes connections to his older work whilst still managing to be gorgeously refreshing and unobvious. Lyrically, it's a complete adventure. "The Stars Are Out Tonight" and "Dancing Out in Space" are personal favourites of mine.

Piccadilly Records, Manchester
I spend a lot of time in Manchester but had never been here until stumbling across it a few weeks ago, which was such an uplifting surprise after finding out that same day the main HMV over there is closing. This little shop seems untouched by the death of physical CD crisis, and it's run with so much love and care. Browsing through their shelves, each album has a little hand-written note with a description, an opinion. Chances are, they won't have what you came in looking for. And chances are, before you leave, something else will find you.

"There Will Come A Time" - Noah and the Whale
The first taste from Noah and the Whale's fourth studio album, to be released in May, shows a continuation from the less folk-driven and more American influences of 2011's "Last Night on Earth". A simple  chord progression, it is cheerfully refreshing and nostalgic, "There will come a time when you will need your friends, tonight." Check out their website for upcoming tour details.

The Magic Numbers
... played at the event in Islington I talked about, a band I used to listen to a lot when I was younger. They are two pairs of siblings, making rock-pop that is very much driven by voice and harmony, which transfers beautifully onto a live setting. "Morning's Eleven" is a great one of theirs if you haven't listened to them before.

No comments:

Post a Comment