Friday 12 July 2013

Recommendations: June 2013

So I accidentally took a massive blogging hiatus in June, partly because I've been all over the country on the craziest of adventures, but nothing is really a valid excuse. I'm home now, with very bad Wi-Fi.


"Full Circle" - Half Moon Run
Half Moon Run have been hotly tipped for 2014 by pretty much everyone, and their first single "Full Circle", shows tonnes of potential - beautifully progressive, dynamic indie-folk-rock. I'm loving their album "Dark Eyes" so far too.

BOXES
This is Athlete's bass player, Carey Willets' solo project - intended to be a band, originally, but has ended up himself, a laptop, a keyboard and a loop pedal - therefore his live shows are that gorgeous phenomenon of physically watching each part of a song being constructed  in front of you. "Silent Alarm" will always be the song I remember drunkenly belting out with my friends, after a gig in Birmingham this month, it also has a brilliantly clever video.

Haim
I've loved Haim excessively since seeing them open for Florence and the Machine back in December, but watching their performance from Glastonbury this weekend has definitely converted me into a huge fan. The three sisters, Este, Danielle and Alana are just brilliant: with a touch of 80s, a touch of Fleetwood Mac, and they're exactly what "Girl Power" should actually mean. I'm definitely hoping to catch one of their gigs as soon as I can.

"Best of Friends" - Palma Violets
"Best of Friends" has a great garage feel, with catchy choruses and an air of mess and spontaneity. It's also totally something I can see popping up in angsty teen dramas on E4 over the summer.

Mother Mash
Led to this little place in Soho after Googling "the best mashed potato in London", my chicken and leek pie with mash and gravy for a not-that-bad price of £8.95 was pretty much the highlight of my year.

No comments:

Post a Comment