Thursday 22 August 2013

Recommendations: July 2013

As with the last few, this is hilariously belated but we should be back on top soon enough!

"Tickle Me Pink" - Johnny Flynn
Another artist I was reacquainted with because of hearing him play at Mumford and Sons' Lewes Stopover, I'm hugely excited about his new album "Country Mile" which is scheduled for release this September. "Tickle Me Pink" is one of his absolute classics.

Castro
These guys come from Derby, recently supported Catfish and the Bottlemen and their EP "Dirty Vibe" demonstrates a sound that's messy, full-on and passionate. I'm definitely excited to see how these guys develop.  *

"A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" - Betty Smith
One of the best books I've read perhaps ever? A snapshot of family life in Brooklyn in the early twentieth century, this novel is narrated by Francie, a young girl that reminds me in so many ways of none other than Scout from "To Kill A Mockingbird"

Keaton Henson (dot com)
This is a bit of a weird one - despite being a big fan of Keaton Henson, I'm not exactly recommending him so much in this case but his... website? Just trust me, and follow this link for hours and hours of mind-numbing, creative, sleep-inducing procrastination/bliss.

Fluffy Towels - Yankee Candle
Call me a corporate soulless cow for investing the admittedly ridiculous £16.99 on such a stupid brand (something they sell for less than a pound in Ikea) but I came across 'fluffy towels' scented Yankee Candle when my friend took me into their store in early spring, and spent every pay day for months trying to decide whether or not I could justify spending that amount of money on a candle. It turns out I could, and in return I've been provided with 150 hours of my entire room smelling like a fancy hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment