Thursday 12 September 2013

"We packed up all our troubles, in our beloved bubble"



"A STRANGE KIND OF MYSTERY IN THE AIR" - Pete Roe

In March last year, I ended up going to three Laura Marling shows within something stupid like five days, and her opener for that tour was Pete Roe, who you might remember also plays in her band. I remember how the first night I was happily surprised by a support act that I enjoyed and just politely nod along to with an air of impatience. The second night I found myself singing along, and by the third, I was a fully converted fan, knew each song and had bought some of the music.

The way that Pete Roe plays guitar, effortlessly plucks and slaps the strings to create so much dynamic, reminds me at times of Marling too, of Ben Howard and even Leonard Cohen. It's clear from watching him on stage that he's a comfortable showman and has a lot of charisma, he's an exceptional guitarist and his studio recordings incorporate strings gorgeously.

"A Strange Kind of Mystery in the Air" is the first single from Roe's newly released album, "Our Beloved Bubble", and is written about the various occurrences in a Bristol pub that he used to live above.

"Our Beloved Bubble", recorded in Nashville is 2012, is out now, and you can check out some of his upcoming tour dates here.


No comments:

Post a Comment