Thursday 14 November 2013

Recommendations: October 2013

October has been an insane month of travelling, hard work, and giving and taking a lot from every single day (I'm also very aware that I have been awful with keeping up with this blog but hey, I always come back).

"Without/Within" - Bear's Den
The third EP from one of the best folk bands to have emerged this year, and in my opinion it's probably their best yet. Each track is beautifully produced, from the boundlessly atmouspheric and colossal opener, "Sahara", to nostalgic heartbreaker "Sophie". I know I chime on about them a lot but they also put on a great live show, go see them if you can.

Hannah Georgas
Canadian artist Hannah Georgas graced the stage at Folkgeek Magazine's first birthday party, has just put out her second album, which is self-titled. Rich and ethereal, her music reminds me a slightly edgier Feist.

"Recover" - Chvrches
Glasgow electronica band Chvrches have I'm not even sure what appeals to me so much about this song but after seeing them play at Manchester's Ritz I listened to it pretty much straight for two days entirely - it's something about the deeply tranquil "ooo's" of backing vocal during the middle eight, with the simple yet haunting conclusive lyric "I know you don't need me" falling into a minor chord.

"August and Everything After" - Counting Crows
This is clearly nothing underground or super-cool but I found this lovely 1993 album in a crate at my local market, and was filled with the nostalgia of listening to this record - folky, rootsy and a little bit unique - in my friend's father's car a few years ago. This is no doubt them at there best. And it's sad and also in some ways very lucky, how all treasure washes up in plastic crates in market halls some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment