Monday 27 December 2010

My Big, Fun and Scary List for 2011

Happy New Year's Eve! Unless it's really New Year's Eve, and that means I'll have just posted this - I'm cheating and writing this before-hand, seeing as I'm actually spending New Year's Eve doing something exciting that will make me happy and I don't even have to get drunk.
That was a lie, I'm posting this now because I wrote it all and I didn't expect to it's midnight, even though it's the 27th/28th, not New Year's Eve..

I think I'm at a point where I should start making New Year's resolutions (yes, that's how you spell that word?), seeing as I have too much spare time on my hands, and I spend it feeling lonely and lurking the internet. This is going to change. I'm going to be happy and busy, all of the time, but busy in a happy way because I'll be busy doing things that make me happy not being busy doing things that make me stressed and only stressed.

Every year on the NaNoWriMo forums, people write lists of Doing Big, Fun and Scary Things Together the following year. And I've never done one - I don't think I've made a New Year's resolution since when I was about 8-10, when every year I would say, "My resolution is to make no more New Year's resolutions HAHA LOL." ('cept I didn't say "haha lol", because it was about 2003 and we just didn't say "haha lol" back then.
Anyways.
I'm making myself a list for the Year of Doing Big, Fun and Scary Things to pursue in 2011 and I'm posting it to my silent little blog, because like I've learnt with things like NaNoWriMo over the last year, if I tell people I'm going to do things and then boast about them a little, it motivates me because I don't want them to know I failed. Easy.
So, without furthur ado, here it is;



LIZZIE'S LIST OF BIG, FUN AND SCARY THINGS TO PURSUE IN 2011

1. KICK THE ASS OUTTA SOME GCSES
Most are in my next school year, but this January my first exam is also the one I'm most likely to fail - Physics, and due to a combination of our fairly awful teacher and the fact that I don't have a grip of most things sciencemathelogical I'm not feeling very confident about this one. RE is in June, which should be okay, and I think that my Biology exam's at some point. I should probably know these things.
My subgoal is to learn to properly focus and revise at home, which requires a mixture of willpower, concentration and determination which I don't have at all.

2. WRITE STUFF, ALL THE TIME
I seem to have the determination to do nothing but troll the internet outside of Script Frenzy and NaNoWriMo, but as I'm hoping to semi-publish my NaNo novel through CreateSpace I really need to give it that level of attention for the other ten months of the year. December was my time off. Now, I mean business.

3. BE MUSICAL.
I want to get a lot better at guitar, I want to really learn how to play the piano (a resolution in itself) - thus far, I mess around with chords and Youtube teaches me what it can, I've known for a while I should probably learn to read music fluently, it's just a good skill to have. I also want to improve my ukulele-playing skills, because it's awesome, and so I can play "Creep" like Amanda Palmer does here (sorry if the link didn't work).

4. BE PREEDY.
Yes, I'm secretly quite vain sometimes. Fix my hair, my skin (haha, sort of relates to the song above), and always look nice and controlled. No coming into school looking like a zombie and smelling like caffeine during November, nuh-uh.

5. BE KIND.
I'm not really a very nice person. Actually, I think inside none of us are a very nice person because we think mean thoughts and want things for ourselves, but nice people rein it in. I think once I was possibly just too shy and I did that. Nowadays, I'm too comfortable around people and I maybe even try too hard to be myself and the meanness comes through. I
will race an eleven year old girl for the last school canteen brownie. I tell my friends what I really think about my other friends, ect. And that's bad. It's a combination of this, 4, 3 and 8 which will make me a generally more likeable person (and maybe even complete 7? ;) See, there's selfish motivation in everything) and find people to do 6 with.

6. GO SEE A LOT OF GIGS.
Speaks for itself. And there's a sublist within this - made up of both bands and artists I really wish I could see, but maybe am unlikely to, and some who are just likely to tour anywhere near me in 2011 and might be fun. They're not all music, either...

- IAMX (likely to be in England at some point this year, I hope)
- Amanda Palmer, or the Dresden Dolls (it's possible)
- Derren Brown (he's coming to a theatre near me this spring, I found out the other day)
- Eels (I think I missed my chance as they did a UK tour last summer when I didn't really know who they were. Still, it'd be pretty awesome.)

Others involve Neil Gaiman, (and I mean reading stuff and not playing music, butI'd also pay to see that) though I don't know what chances are like, I'd love to go see Imogen Heap at some point, and also some stage shows. Oh, and Tim Minchin and Blue October and maybe even Robots In Disguise but I'm unsure of the likeliness of those last few people.

7. "GET THE GUY", LIKE I PROBABLY WOULD HAVE DONE IN MY LIFE MOVIE BY NOW
Because really, it's about time.
I don't mean to tease my friends, who are about the only three readers of this blog and probably get curious, but I feel like this is something I need to mention because it's something I need to do. I don't know why I feel like there's a ticking clock, even though I'm fourteen and not thirty, but what if when I'm old and live alone, I realise that feeling like this was special and doesn't actually happen very often and that I should've done something? I'm not stupid (or not very brave) and I'll try to make progress before I do anything OTT, but there has to be a means to an end.

8. GET FIT.
My gym card's gathering dust, and it's probably time I did this, admitedly, Everything In Between inspired me. I'm not 12 anymore, I can't eat slices and slices of Melba toast without losing out somehow and Costa's caramel latte contains a lot more calories than I would have thought.
I want to run fast. I want to run in fields for hours and hours and not get sweaty or breathless at all and feel the wind in my hair and poetic stuff like that. Plus it'd make people think I was awesome, and it's useful if I'm ever chased by zombies or something.

9. WATCH MOVIES WHICH I SHOULD HAVE SEEN, READ BOOKS, LISTEN TO BANDS ECT
... and generally become more culturally enhanced. I don't like the looks on people's faces when they find out I'm a media student who hasn't seen "Star Wars" or "Jaws". I'm also going to make a list of books I'll read in 2011, maybe I'll post it here. I want my iPod to be even more full of magic and wonder. I want to experience awesomeness.


10. LIVE LIFE ON THE EDGE (because if you don't, you're taking up too much room)
When I watched Everything In-Between (can you tell how much it inspired me?! Go watch it!) I left wanting to run in fields, paint the kitchen, love someone and do all sorts of exciting things. It made me realise how lazy I am, and how much more I need to live. I want to be braver and to live in the moment, I want to take risks, even really stupid ones, and do awesome things - I have to talk in vague metaphors here, because I have no idea what I'm going to do. Maybe that's the point.
That's a cheesy line to end on.

I hope you have a brilliant New Year, and do Big, Fun, and Scary Things with me in 2011.
Night night, from December 27th (it's JUST hit midnight, how poetic).

- Lizzie

No comments:

Post a Comment