Tuesday 14 August 2012

Declining Record Industry

This is going to be short because I'm exhaused but okay;

I read something today which made me really sad.

Last week Rihanna was at the top of the UK album chart. She sold less than ten thousand copies of her album "Talk That Talk" and that's the lowest sales figures the chart-topping album has had in over twenty years.

I don't know if this is because of downloads, and because it's so much easier to just collect the various singles and favourites of artists you like from iTunes now. I don't know if it's just because of what's being released at the moment. For years I have listened to people saying the concept of the album is dying and not wanted to believe it, but that's scary.

With the autumn we have new releases from Mumford and Sons, Amanda Palmer and Muse to look forward to, as well as a lot of others which I'll talk about as they come along.

I guess what I want to say is that it's really tempting to just save a bit of money and spent 79p a few times on the songs you've heard on the radio, but there's so much value and love in going out and buying a physical CD, having twelve tracks to ponder over, pouring over the little booklets inside CD cases. Music and the structure of an artist or band is so much more than just the three minutes that gets played on the radio.

We need to revive this somehow. I'm in if you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment