Sunday 10 March 2013

"it's a curse of the mind to be sad at night"

On Friday, appropriately enough on International Women's Day, the princess of "nu-folk", Laura Marling, announced the release of her fourth studio album. "Once I Was An Eagle" comes out on the 27th May in the UK, and  the 28th May in the US, produced by Ethan Johns, who worked on Laura's last two LPs. This is "Where Can I Go?", the first release from it.



Marling's website calls the new album a "hugely ambitious record that reflects the dark themes of "A Creature I Don't Know"". The song above confirms this, a melody that seems so gently nostalgic and relaxed, incorporating soft organ that serves as a reminder of Ryan Adams' strong influence in Laura's songwriting. The lyrics contrast this, the use of the same character we hear in "A Creature I Don't Know"'; bitter and worn by love. A chorus that cries out "Late at night he'll come to me and tell me I'm alone - don't you think I don't already know?", it all suggests the point of view of a hardened and broken heart. It breaks into gloriously liberal strumming, that feeling of release that comes with an openly tuned guitar.

"Once I Was An Eagle" is avaliable for preorder here.

No comments:

Post a Comment