Saturday 30 March 2013

Lost At Sea



"SÆGLÓPUR" - Sigur Rós

It occured to me how little I've written about Sigur Rós on here, which seems so insane, because they're one of my favourite bands of all time. I found out about them when I was fourteen, after hearing lead singer Jónsi's solo work, gorgeous 2010 album "Go". I remember telling a friend about him, one of the first I had who felt like this about music, and he laughed because I'd never heard of Sigur Rós. Then it was "Takk", of course, that was the album that had me enchanted.

It goes like this: I go through periods of not listening to them for weeks and months, then something happens that triggers it. I hear their music in one of the evergrowing hoards of TV shows that chooses to feature it. Or someone mentions them. Or it snows. And then I remember them again, go through long periods when I'll listen to nothing else, and notice new things every time.

There is just nobody like them. Beautiful Icelandic goodness, their music is the perfect companion to an adventure. Twinkling glockenspiel, that piano part and Jónsi's vocals; a caress to your soul, lovely ethereal falsetto - the above song is one of my favourites of theirs. They're so many things simultaneously, orchestral-choral-classical-minimal-cinematic-ambient-rock music.

I haven't written in a while. Except I have, weirdly, more than ever, and listened - I think this month I've heard more music that I've felt like I had to share suddenly than I have in a long time. A notebook full of it, and then I get to the computer to transfer all of this mess and forget how to write. I have no excuse, not even laziness or stress this time, like in the past. And apart from that, in all other areas, I'm happier than ever.

Kick of motivation starts tomorrow, I swear. I have so, so much to tell you.

And I wish you a very happy Easter/Spring time xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment