Sunday 3 October 2010

a day in the life of a "music snob"

"Music is worthless unless it can make a complete stranger break down and cry."

- Frou Frou, "The Dumbing Down Of Love"



I feel like I'm the only person in my life that feels like I do. About music, and words, and people and The World.

I doubt it sometimes but it's true. I am what the Windows Live homepage (it could have been Virgin Media, actually) once referred to as a "music snob"; they defined it as someone who has a very certain taste in music and is sort of arrogant to other suggestions.

I think I probably come across as being like that sometimes, but I'm going to defend myself. Here is why.

I am not un-open-minded.



When I was younger, I didn't like mainstream music very much but I didn't look much furthur, which is how I became a strange kind of twelve-year-old who carried round an iPod on which she'd listen to 80s rock music, along with Scouting For Girls and Paolo Nutini, at that time before they were popular.

It wasn't until about a year ago I started to find the true value of music, until I started listening to Imogen Heap who I found through the internet. Her music wasn't only wonderuful, but led me to a network of other alternative musicians, most of which are completley different to each other; I discovered IAMX, Amanda Palmer, Blue October, much more. Then there are others, various people have introduced me to, Beirut is a good example. Over the last year, I've bought about twenty physical CDs which I think probably a record for me. It doesn't seem like a lot.

Because I like my blog more than I'll admit and I have too much time on my hands, I even drew a diagram with Paint to show this.






The other thing it did was turn me away from mainstream music completley. I don't hate Justin Bieber and Cheryl Cole and Britney and The Wanted, I just don't like them. A lot. It annoys me that I can't get away from listening to all of this. I'm made to acknowledge Top 40s style music every day, it gets played on the radio stations my parents listen to and on people's phones at school or whilst I'm waiting for my Subway sandwich, it's in everyone's Facebook status. Most people I know haven't heard of any of the above in their lives, and that makes me angry.

The thing that's brought this on is a coversation I was having (which turned into a joking type fight, which turned into a really huge and very real fight, which turned into us both hugging and crying because we're teenage girls) with my best friend yesterday in which she told me she'd decided Beyonce was the best singer, ever.

I felt pretty betrayed. Poppy is an Imogen Heap fan, she goes to shows with me and a lot of the time likes a lot of the music I like - I didn't realise until yesterday that she's the only person I know that does like the music I do, that's non Internet-wise. She also listens to things like Plan B, though, she likes Eminem and pretty much everything that the cast of Glee cover. It makes me sad that my friends and I will never like the same kind of music; we went bowling quite recently, and I have a distinct memory of sitting eating chips whilst they were all singing along to the song Billionaire. I knew I'd made the right choice, that the week's number one hit would never make them cry late at night, that they would never find anything that made them feel in "eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh, stop telephonin' me", find that five second point in a really well produced song that actually makes a lump in your chest rise, see a live show as good as the ones I've been to, but it felt lonely and it makes me sad, sometimes.
Whoever is in between their earphones spent a fortnight singing in a recording studio, not two and a bit years writing, producing and playing every single instrument on an album.

I know I'm right. But sometimes I feel like I everyone else to.

No comments:

Post a Comment