Friday 4 March 2011

Today Was Chocolate Cake in the Park, Plastic Forks and Someone Else's Green T-Shirt

Hello.

First, as it's March now, I wanted to apologize for failing completley to write a blog post every day in February. I was going to post a picture of myself looking puppy-eyed whilst holding a stuffed dinosaur to gain some sympathy, but I won't :p In the end, I ran out of things to write about and doing this wasn't fun anymore, it was just another thing stopping me from sleeping. Meh, excuses.

When I was in my first few years of high school, I definitely didn't see music as as much of an importance as I do now, but I still listened to it, just at the same amount as any normal person. My musical taste wasn't completley mainstream, but it was much more obvious and accesible than what I listen to nowadays. I'd say there were about seven artists or bands that I'd listen to most of the time (this is in about 2008), most who I still like now, and one of these were the Killers.
Though their album "Hot Fuss" was bbig for me, now I think back it was more of one of those CDs where there were about five songs I really loved, and then some others I'd tend to just skip past.
Every few months or so, within about the last two years, one of these songs I used to ignore comes up when I had my iPod on shuffle or something, and I'd think Oh, this is really good. Why did my twelve year old self skip past it like that?
A few days ago I was talking about the Killers with one of my friends and he mentioned a song called "Jenny Was a Friend of Mine". I was about to say something about how I hadn't liked it as much as some of their other music when I realised I couldn't remember listening to the song at all, ever.
It reminded me of a time a while ago when I was going through a friend's iPod, which was full of mainly just Now! CDs, though from one she did have a song I knew called "I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend" by The Black Kids. She was like, "Oh, I hate that song." I asked why, she said "Well I haven't heard it, but it's by The Black Kids and that sounds like a really racist name." *eyeroll*
But present me didn't want to be prejudiced, when it came to music or anything else, so I listened to "Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine", and it's brilliant.
Sometimes, after listening to a song once or twice or even hundreds of times, you have this moment where you realise what the words are really about, and I think this is even more special when the song's about something a little diverse or quite specific. The last few days, since hearing "Jenny Was a Friend of Mine" for the first time and slowly realising its story has been like reliving the time I started to see "Goodnight and Go" was about a stalker - yes, I'm slow and it was a whilebefore I payed attention to the lyrics in that verse.
Sometimes, once you understand a song's lyrics, I see new things in it and match them up. There's so many oh.... moments and I always want to hear it again, it takes over the most music I listen to for maybe twenty four hours, two days, never much more than a week. It's like getting to know a person you really, really like much more and it's amazing.
it's going to be embarassing now if me theory about the song is wrong. I just don't think it is.

I'm leaving now, my teeth feel ewwy, they have for a while since a friend told me to drink some oil. And I have to learn to play ^^ on guitar before I go to sleep! I'm feeling nice today, my cold's getting better and I just watched a movie.
Have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment