Saturday 15 January 2011

Walking with Goofy (and other things I've done in my sleep)

Hi.

I had a fight with my parents today, and it wasn't as big or as chaotic as arguments we've had a lot of the time but it was actually to do with something important. My mum's barely aware it happened I think, so I'm unsure whether to bring it up again until we've reached a conclusion, because there's no way of letting this one slide. Right now I've exiled myself to my bedroom with Callie and a cupcake and it's making me feel like it's night time.
Meh. It was eventual - we're been getting on for about a month.

Last night my internet was broken and I couldn't sleep, so I ended up just going through all of the old files on my computer. One of the things I found was a folder from the summer of 2009 called "Dreams", and I remembered that something I used to do for about a month was, usually straight after I woke up, go to my laptop and write down the dream I'd just had.
It was so, so weird to read and sometimes actually remember having them, other times not.
Anyways. I thought it might make some interesting reading. (note: any grammatical mistakes were my 13 year old self's. I thought I should not change them.


" ROSIE OR CHARLOTTE AND THE WOOLLEN PONIES

A few days ago; today is September 8th.
It started in some sort of field and I was with Rosie or Charlotte or both. It was dark and pixelated and there were horses everywhere, horses that looked like they were made of wool. I mounted one and decided that I didn't like and the same thing happened again, until I settled for a white/cream horse.
Then me and Rosie (or Charlotte) started riding along a thin road that looked like the track to Kathryn's grandma's farm or Poppy's driveway (it was long and thin and made up of grey rocks. Then we got to another field, thinner and fatter and lighter and there were less horses than there had been at the top. I have a feeling it was in Whichurch, or Wales. An old man that looked cartoon-like was waiting there.
We'd been riding from the top of the hill to Whichurch/Wales but now there wasn't one, and we just wanted to ride the woollen ponies but we weren't allowed.
Then I woke up.


THE VALENTINE CAFE

This was a few weeks ago (September 8th today) but it's one of the most memorable dreams I've had in a while.
I was in a cafe, and there were creators of TV shows there, though now I think back I can only remember specific people from Valentine*. Actors, actresses, producers, directors, writers.
It was one of those cafes that's sort of inside a shopping centre, and there were two stories. I was on the top floor. It was a thin-ish building and yellow, cream, white, gold colours. Not particularly expensive or fancy. Tables around the edges with piles of paper on and, of course, a counter somewhere. I was sat at one of the tables and Patrick Fabian and Christine Lakin were on the same table - I think I'd been there first and they came to sit with me. It was definitely Patrick Fabian and I'm pretty sure it was Christine Lakin there too but it could have been someone else. I remember seeing Jaime Murray from the back, her hair was in a ponytail and she was wearing a red dress she'd worn in an interview on Something For The Weekend.
Patrick Fabian or the woman that might have been Christine Lakin asked me, "Who are you?"
"I wrote the script," I replied, then straight away regretted it. I think I knew we were talking about Valentine and of course knew that it was not me who had written the script.
They nodded, seeming impressed. I was unable to contradict what I had just said; literally unable to move my mouth and speak so I sat there foolishly feeling a lot more childish than I had done about nine seconds ago.
Then suddenly I wasn't with them any more. I was at the other side of the cafe, next to one of the outer tables where I looked through a stack of books without opening any of them. One of them had an orange cover of a seaside like the cover of "The Other Hand" by Chris something but I don't think it was that.
Then I was with Katie and Jess in a shopping centre, I think, and it could have been the one that the cafe was in. Then we went to some toilets, not the ones in Chatwin's (that was a specific point) but next door, in Topshop. They were dark and long and thin and dirty and stuffed between the cubicles and the sinks near where the door had been was a line of glamorous leather recliner chairs. I was keen to sit in one of the turquoise coloured ones like Katie was in, not one of the pale pink ones with black patterns, so I sat on the one on Katie's left whilst Jess went to the toilet.
Then we were in an alley. It was dark and rainy and grey, but some sort of tiny parade was going on and two men wearing long, red wigs were dancing and I thought for a second that one of them was Patrick Fabian then realised it wasn't.


AN EMAIL?

Last night, Tuesday September 9th.
I got an email. I don't remember what it said; it was just the briefest flash of writing. I think it was telling me about something I'd done, something that had already happened, possibly in real life. I have a feeling it was something to do with guides.


MINNIE MOUSE

It's Wednesday September 16th and I've just woken up from this dream, and it's weird and kooky and fun and one of the loveliest dreams I've had, probably since the Valentine cafe.
This dream happened in five stages. At first I was me, and I went for dinner at Connor's house, after seeing a picture of me, Alex Farr and Becky Edwards on a computer by some bunk beds. At Connor's house, we ate pasta with gravy.
In the second part I went swimming with my friends. Rosie was definitely there, Becky, and maybe Poppy too. I knew they were all there. The pools were all outside, 3 were lined up as normal pools and then there was a larger one on their left and a tower ascended from that that was dripping water and people were climbing through holes inside it. There was some kind of slide I think, and it was Florida-like sunny where we were. When I first got in it was like a turned up high Jacuzzi and the pressure and currents were too much and I couldn't swim.
Then for a while I was lying in the larger pool - the shallow end. And for that part I was Alexa and I had pretty blonde hair and I'm not sure what I did then.
Then I was at Disney Land but walking through the less theme park-ish bits that I'm pretty sure aren't real.
In this section of the dream, I was Minnie Mouse. And I was walking with Goofy (this is definitely due to Dobbin's favourite joke**) who I think I'd left Mickey Mouse for because I knew I loved him. We walked through a fake desert, passing the occasional Disney character who I was afraid would see us, so I wore Goofy's hat for a while to cover my face.
In the last part I was myself again, as I passed through the gate from the desert in Disney Land I made the change from Minnie Mouse to me. Then I was walking around Disney Land with my parents and a strange little girl, who in this dream I remembered as my little sister. She was around 5 years old and pretty, I suppose, with very blonde, curly hair and dark brown eyes and high cheekbones. She was wearing a pink dress.
So in the end I saw Aerosmith (real rollercoaster at Disney World Hollywood Studios which I rue the day I never went on) and decided it didn't look that scary so I could go on. As I got in my seat I saw Becky on a seat near me next to a boy that looked like Cameron Douglas, and I waved.


ACTING

Last night (today is September 2009 - it's now 16:39 so this memory is a little vague.
At the start of the dream I was sat on the floor of a hall that might have been my school hall. There were groups of people sat cross-legged in lines and I think I might have been sat next to Sophie. And then I think someone told me it was Inter-house Drama or I just remembered or found out and I panicked. I was playing the lead in this play (it was something to do with Minnie and Mickey Mouse (ironic, I've never dreamt about them until this a few nights ago)). I think I was playing a character that was supposed to represent Minnie Mouse and had some weird, French sounding name begining with an m.
I didn't know any of the lines because I hadn't been to any of the rehearsals and I was given a script by someone, I think but the performance was in five minutes and I couldn't remember any of my lines. So I went to see Ms Pickthall who was in the hall and she told me they'd find someone to replace me and I could play the scenery. I asked what she meant and she showed me a drawing/map of what the set up would be like. She was saying things like 'just run along there like a bird' and 'you can run across the front like the sea' and I had an image of me running around the stage holding a stick in each hand and seeming like a stupid person. But I went alone with it, deciding I'd just copy what other backstage people that seemed to fade into the background would do.
Suddenly I was in a rectangle covered in curtains. There was a small raised platform behind me where three people were stood, and I stood on the floor in front just to the side of the tiny stage. Sophie was on the other side, and there were three people on the stage. One was dressed as Pinocchio. Through a small gap in the side of the curtains I could see a table, where Rosie was sat at the end of it near to me, smiling at me, Katie at the furthest end and Robin Price and someone else in the middle of them. I woke up around then, before the play started.


THE TREASURE HUNT

This was on Wednesday October 7th 2009 and I think it was about 4:30 that I woke up after. For the first part, I think I was with Freya, which is crazy. And my mum, maybe. We were in town and I saw someone from my school then realised that I was in my pyjamas and was immedietly embarassed.
There was another part where I saw the plant in my room had grown, because I hadn't watered it. It isn't a cactus but it was now. It had grown much, much taller and there were spikes coming out of all the circular leaves. I'm not sure if this came before or after the above part of the dream.
Then I was in town still, but it was night time. I was with my mum and there were cats with us. Fred, Darren and Hellen's cat was there and probably Bob. I was holding Callie. We were doing a sort of treasure hunt and there was a little scrap of paper with a map and coloured dots around it. The final part was a kareoke bar, which isn't real and is in the place of the alleyway that leads to The Crown and Mr Simms' sweet shop. Next door to the kareoke bar there was an old, abandoned shoe shop called something like Sally's Shoes. I saw a few pairs of glittery shoes, children's ones, that were red and gold and silver but the rest of the white shelves were empty.
We started to walk upstaris, me behind, then my mum went through a door and it slammed behind her. I heard a scream and saw a hand trapped in the door. I stood alone, terrified and waiting for something to jump out at me.
At this time I started to realise it was a dream, not before I saw a very fake Dracula.

ALISON'S GOLD TRIMMED BLAZER

I keep re-remembering parts of this dream but I think I've got it all. This was on the night of Friday November 9th/morning of Saturday November 10th. I woke up in between part one and part two. In part one I was with someone I can't remember, it could have been Poppy. We were walking around town and then decided to go to a club. When we got there I wasn't with Poppy anymore, if I was to begin with, and I'm not sure who I was either. I don't remember much about actually being in this club type thing but whoever was there was wearing a red and black dress.
And I think I was wearing something black. I don't know... I don't usually think about clothing in dreams.
Part two began in the cloakroom at school. Alison was wearing a new blazer (or a different old one) that around the edges was gold, for being... good in school or something. Everyone was sort of laughing at her but clearly she was very proud of this.
She'd also been given badges for something and one of them was like, three circles in a line. For some reason I had one and I was teasing Alison, who really wanted it back. Then she agreed to split it in half and I was going to stop her and give it back, because I didn't actually want it back but she'd already taken a knife and halved it. (we were in my kitchen now). "

*Valentine was a TV show I used to love, about Greek gods and godesses (mainly Aphrodite) trying to function in modern day LA.
** LAWYER: Mr Mouse, I really don't think your wife's exceptionally large teeth are sufficient grounds for divorce.
MICKEY MOUSE: That isn't what I meant when I said she was fucking Goofy!

That wasn't everything, but that took nearly two hours seeing as blogger doesn't let me copy and paste. I'll come back on Monday and write something useful or intellectually stimulating. Maybe.

Have a nice weekend.

- lizzie

No comments:

Post a Comment