Sunday 7 August 2011

Liveblogging a Loaf of Bread

I found the bread machine we used to use all the time in the garage this morning, so I looked for the instruction manual on the internet and currently bread is baking. It's going to take over two hours so I'm going to be annoying and liveblog my attempt at machine breadmaking.

The little green light is next to "kneading" at the moment.

It's nearly two o clock and my hair's still wet. I'm listening to The Head and the Heart, who were the support act when I went to see Death Cab For Cutie and probably drawing with Back Ted N-Ted as my favourite support act I've seen. They're a folk band from Seattle. On stage they were just all completley into it and happy, three of them sort of took it in turns to be lead singer and I saw the most enthusiastic shaky-egg playing I think I ever will.



The music video for that song is also pretty freaking beautiful. I think I'm turning into a fan of theirs. Someone said in the Youtube comments; "if fleet foxes and mumford sons had a happy sparkly-eyed child they would name it head and the heart." S'true.

It's exactly 14:00. Going to check on the bread machine.

We're now "Resting" at 14:03. I keep repeating "Lost In My Mind".

"Oh-ooh..."

I know it's the middle of the summer, and I'm really close to going somewhere really hot on our family holiday, but I miss winter. Is that stupid?
Up to recently, I'd never really appreaciated that England is pretty; it went from being just the place where I live, to somewhere I started to want to escape from, but in the last month or so I've started to be able to find beauty in places I am all the time. I think it's partly because of Laura Marling's I Speak Because I Can, talking about rides on bicycles and England in the snow and a walk past a village church she used to take with her father.
It's funny, last year I discovered wanderlust and friendship through the internet and electronica. 2011 has so far brought me love for folk music and green fields and home. I think I can find a balance of those things.

14:14. Time for another bread check.
Still "Resting." I got rich tea biscuit because I'm hungry and haven't had lunch yet. Now it's gone.

14:31. Kneading again. It's starting to smell delicious and I'm hungry.

Okay I'm really hungry now but waiting for the bread. I think I like to eat more than is healthy.

It's 14:44 and the machine's stopped making noise.
"Resting" again. It's a solid ball of dough now instead of just ingredients. Yay.
I also just ate another rich tea biscuit, because it has over an hour and thirty minutes left.

See... things like this is just exactly why the internet's shaping the future.

I'm reading a book at the moments called "When God Was a Rabbit", by Sarah Winman, and little things in it keep reminding me of "The Earth Hums in B-Flat". I think it's great when a writer writes from a child's point of view in an adult book, because a lot of children's books seem to patronise and just miss how children think and feel and the things they notice. I know that a book aimed at ten to twelve year olds can't exactly be filled with violence and sex references, but I know that when I was around that age I tired of children's litereture and even some YA novels and read adult books, where sometimes they were too linguistically complexed but the themes in were more interesting to me than a lot of children's books, which seemed patronising.
I got really off track there, because "When God Was A Rabbit" isn't a children's book at all, it just has a good grasp of them. It makes me laugh a lot.

15:13. Bread is rising now! It's also filled the shape of the tin it's in but still sort of a dough ball.

I don't have anything interesting to say anymore. I feel a bit like we're sat here and we're making bread together and now we're awkward and silent around each other whilst we're waiting for it to be done.

15:31 Bread still rising.
I read more of "When God Was A Rabbit" but I won't spoil it for you. Just under an hour left. I'm watching an episode of Charmed to pass the time.

16:44 I couldn't watch Charmed because I lost the remote batteries but the bread is done. It rose too much but was still delicious. Thanks for... um... keeping me company?

Times played "Lost In My Mind" this afternoon: 8

No comments:

Post a Comment