Wednesday 31 August 2011

Recommendations: 1

I have to write today's post in the daytime, which I almost never do and this has made me sort of force myself to think of a solid thing to write about instead of chattering on like I do usually. Then I started thinking about how much of my blog I spend telling you "listen to this", "buy this", "read this".
For someone that loves music and books and film, it's hard not to do that a lot so instead of giving up completley I'm going to try instead to condense it all into one post every so often. I stole the idea of a recommendations section from this.

So the idea is, I write, say, one of these a month (though that will speed up and slow down, we know how bad I am at sticking to things). I will also try to "recommend" one thing from each area, but there'll probably be more or less of those depending on how I'm feeling.

LIZZIE'S RECOMMENDATIONS (August 2011)

Song: "Maria" - Dizraeli
This came up on my tumblr dashboard yesterday. I'm normally quite quick to be judgemental about music with spoken lyrics, but this is sort of brilliant, at the same time completley heartbreaking. A story.

Food: Lily O'Brien's chocolate
My mother buys us these whenever something bad happens. Things of deliciousness which I think started out being made my an Irish woman in her kitchen. When I was twelve I sent them a complaint letter because a label was wrong, they sent a box of toffee to my house. Happiness.*

Book: "Five People You Meet in Heaven" - Mitch Albom
An old man passes away and goes through the first stage of "Heaven"; his life is explained to him by five people that played a role in it, not necessarily the ones closest to him. A wonderful novel about people and how we relate to each other, about guilt and most importantly about forgiveness.

Film: "Beckie0 in Technicolor"
I was thinking of choosing Enduring Love, or another, y'know, full length film. But Beckie0, a Youtuber, is extrodinary and a brilliant filmmaker. I think it's fair for this to count just as much.

Album: "The Head and the Heart" - The Head and the Heart
Since I was talking about them a few weeks ago, I bought their record and it's brilliant - I might even go as far as to say that at the gig, they were better than Death Cab For Cutie, who they were supporting. That is saying something.

I was going to do a TV show as well, and when I couldn't think of anything I decided I'd make one of my friends who are coming round do it instead, but we'll probably just eat nachos and talk about how much we missed each other.

I'll see you soon! (I'm not going to say I'll see you next Wednesday, because I go back to school then and I don't even want to think about it.)

baiiiiiiiiiii. <3

* * *

*Don't even be surprised that there's a food section.

No comments:

Post a Comment