Tuesday 8 January 2013

David Bowie - New Album and Single!

You will have heard this all over today already, but today, David Bowie's sixty-sixth birthday, he announced that the first album he has recorded in ten years will be released in March. Completely out of the blue.

David Bowie's new single - it feels so weird to say this - was released today.



"WHERE ARE WE NOW?" - David Bowie

About Bowie and I... honestly, his music was not really a massively acknowledged presence in my life until I was fourteen and my friend I met that year listened to him all the time. He was one of his most beloved musicians, and it was him who made me actually listen to all of his records and not just "Space Oddity", "Dancing in the Street", "Changes" etc. It is needless to say David Bowie is fantastic and "Heroes" particularly has been a part of my life.

"Where Are We Now?" shows a shift in his sound, though clearly the same elements as his old music running through, there are changes both audibly in his voice, and in the song and its style. The video is already iconic and its story an enigma, the song itself both warm and heartbreaking, its lyrics full of sorrow and conclusion. As well as being a talking point, it's just beautifully unexpected, an amazing song with lots like it to follow, I hope.

It's a really weird thought that this morning I woke up having no idea this would happen today.

"Where Are We Now?" is avaliable on iTunes, and the new album scheduled for March release.

No comments:

Post a Comment