Sunday 20 February 2011

... and then there were 16 (Haikus Part II)

So the other day, I ended up having a sort of haiku-off with my friend Beth Holmes. And it got stupid. The majority of these are awful. They're about life experiences, love, debate, narwhals, coffee, anything else that seemed remotely inspiring. And I don't know why I'm doing this, but I promised her I'd post them here.

I wish your lips spoke
with the same silky smoothness
as your fingers move.

Too much hot, cold, noise
We all look for that something.
You won't find it here.

Here to ponder
the invention of the wheel,
Latte and espresso.

Narwhals have horns
which are quite long and pointy.
Unicorns have horns...

Light, sketchy pencil,
Am I trying to create
masterpiece on skin?

We should go to the
seaside. I promise I'm not
kidding. Not this time.

Skin smelling of salt
Yes, there's sweat and blood but salt
Just like mermaid hair.

Every year I start
to trust, but you disappoint.
Christmas fucking day.

One, two, three, four, five
You turn, not getting dizzy
over the same clouds.

I want to grab you
by the shoulders and shake out
every drop of that.

Whittard's instant tea,
I know you're bad for my teeth
But so sweet and warm.

Though I cannot dance,
This is just political
intoxication.

Your bedroom is full,
Of Doctor Who and normal,
What brought me to here?

You're making small talk
When you tell me, in that tone
I have pretty eyes.

Around the corner
We can laugh until we cry.
For now, just hold tight.

I want to argue,
Not to be calmly informed,
That you are The Truth.

Sorry about that.
I'll write something proper soon.
Thank you for reading.

- Lizzie

A note: I know this is the second time, but I'll try not to make haiku writing a regular thing.
However if you do like haikus, follow @KimyaDawson575 on twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment