Saturday 26 February 2011

Procrastination

"Procrastination," Ze Frank once said, "should feel like you're inserting lots and lots of commas into the sentence of your life."

Whenever we have a week off school, I have at least one day where I don't have anything planned and there isn't really any reason to leave the house, and so I decide this is the day I'm going to get things done. Today I woke up around 9 and made myself a Stuff To Do List. I was feeling productive already.
After even just getting out of bed faster than usual, then eating breakfast and washing my hair, I felt like I was on a roll and so I turned on the computer, maybe just to check Twitter and Facebook and read my emails.
I don't even need to fill in the gap because it was 1 o clock before I realised I was still here, then two and three and four. At about five o clock, I sent two emails and omgsrhsrhsr, I'd done something from my list and so, of course, I rewarded myself with a break of about three hours. It was stupid.
and, of course, that got prolonged.
At six o clock, I wrote two entire paragraphs of German for some coursework I had. All there was left to do was send another email, which would only take five minutes, to read 100 pages of a book, which I could just do before going to sleep, and memorizing a page or so of French for a test.
I'd been sat in front of a computer for too long, so I went downstairs and ate dinner with my parents, then around eight I thought about how I hadn't even stepped out of the door all day, so I put on a jacket and went for a walk, which is something I used to do a lot a few months ago and haven't recently.
I took Jonsi with me and threw myself over the fence, came to this place I go and sit sometimes, some lumpy grass, a pond which you could probably call a puddle, and it's right beside a train track, and I like it there at night when people aren't walking their dogs. For a while I just sat there and listened to "Go Do" then "Around Us" and "Grow Till Tall".
When I got home, it was about half past nine and I could have done something but Skins was nearly on and so I watched that, then my dad wasn't letting me use the internet because he was downloading something, multiple computers slow that down in our house.
I read a little of what I needed to but couldn't really tune in so put it down. I learnt the first sentence of what I needed to, but it's gone now, so instead I lay in bed and listened to BBC Five Live until about 1am for no reason at all. I felt like there was failure in the sheets, it was grease in the pores of my skin and my hair.
But I was a tenny bit proud, because even writing my list I'd known I couldn't really do any of it at all.

This whole thing was mainly just to make you see that Ze Frnak video up there, because it sums up procrastination much better than I ever could.

No comments:

Post a Comment