Friday 18 February 2011

Winning Makes Things Good Again

If I ever, ever start to seem like I'm wanting to write a blog every day in a month or something again, stop me, and remind me how I feel right now. Because this, in some ways, is more physically and definitely more emotionally draining than NaNoWriMo. It's ridiculous.
I'm sick of the sound of that voice, in my head, writing all the time. I'm sick of desperately looking for some interesting story in everything that happens to me. I don't want to try to mean anything to anybody just now, I want to lie in bed and watch How I Met Your Mother.

But instead I'll talk about what I did today, because to me it was exciting.

To start with I'll explain that there are three houses at my school - for those who aren't British or just haven't read Harry Potter, a house is basically a large group of students which you're automatically and also randomly put into in starting high school. Throughout the year, there are inter-house competitions for all sorts of things, sports, arts, performance. And I never did any of these, because although I'd have liked to it always felt like something you do with your friends. The house I used to be in I shared with only one of them, though I wasn't in a form class with her and she was never really interested in doing choir and things.

The head of the house I wanted to move to explained that I'd have to go to the guidance counselleur (sp?) and talk about how lonely I was and cry, and I did though I'm a little ashamed of it. My best friend and I are now in the same form class and in the Inter-House Music contest, which was today, I sang in choir and played in the ensemble and it made me happy. My friends and I have this running joke that I was sorted wrongly into Slytherin, now I'm in Gryffindor (I've actually gone red tie -> green, but thinking about it politically it's true.)

Choir was sort of like hope to me, because since I've drifted over to the kinds of music I love I've realised how powerful a choir can be, and it annoyed me that we had so many voices and people and there was so much you could do, yet all three choirs sang pretty much one part, and with accompiniment, and one even had a backing track. Having said that, ours was fairly creative as my school goes, and everyone felt happy singing it.

One day, before I die, I will sing "Earth" in a choir and it will be magical.

There was this really cliched moment when we won, sat at the front, not in the audience but with everyone else who had performed, when everyone just cheered and hugged and I felt proud and like I belonged, which is stupid because nobody gets so enthusiastic about these things.

___________________________________________________________________

A note

Sorry for no blog yesterday but my internet's been down again - that there was Thursday's. For the time being I'm going to write a day later until we're pretty much caught up, just because it gives me the time to edit that I need, and also so there's always something there to post last minute when my internet fails, which it is doing a lot at the moment.

.Have a nice day. :)

- Lizzie xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment