Saturday 19 February 2011

Arguments

One of those things happened today, which I can't quite talk about yet but it'll be brilliant to make a point with in about a year. And I still want to make that point so what the hell, I'll try to do it anyway. Without telling the story.
You know what I'm just going to tell the story.

From what I can tell, an argument can only really end in one of three ways.
a) Either the cause of the argument is decided to be pointless and left alone.
b) A decision is made: one of the argue-ers is right, someone wins, and another loses.
c) Murder.

Usually when I argue with people, it's my parents, and about stupid things like putting away my socks, which can usually, after some time, end in a, and I think that's the best way to end things most of the time.
But sometimes, an argument can't fade away with ignorance. Sometimes, a decision has to be made.

My Media Studies teacher and I have had this slightly petty debate for a while now about whether a book is media - me for, her against. I'd be okay with a book not being media if we're calling The Media news, newspapers, magazines, the Internet, things only current, but she'll also say that a film which is fiction is media. But a novel, like magazines and newspapers, is printed word and like a film tells a story.
Anyway, it got pretty serious and today she kept me back after class to talk about it. She said that I was the best in the class and I always do well at everything, but I have to stop writing this in my work because it's wrong.
I kept at it, I kept explaining to her why she's wrong, why you can't say a film which is fiction is media, and she'd just repeat something like "No, it's literature". Then she was talking about exam boards and things, and how it was basic and I felt like I was being tortured until I falsely confessed to something. Eventually, I gritted my teeth, trembling, and I said, "Okay. I understand now. Books aren't media."
She told me to have a good half term and I left, and I wanted to burst into tears for the rest of the day because of how weak I felt.

That argument ended in b, and I lost and I knew it. I still feel awful for giving in like that and what annoys me is the way she was talking, as if she was calmly informing me I had cancer or something. She was talking down to me and this whole thing isn't fact, it's debate and I know that I'm right.
I suppose it could still end in c though.

Have a really good weekend.

- Lizzie


No comments:

Post a Comment